1) Port keeps clear of starboard.
2) Windward keeps clear of leeward when overlapped.
3) When on the same tack a boat astern keeps clear of a boat ahead.
4) A boat Tacking keeps clear of one that is not tacking.
5) Avoid collisions. Racing Rules are defensive to prevent collisions not offensive racing tactics.
6) If you gain right of way or change your course, give the other boat time (room) to keep clear.
7) The inside overlapped boats at four boat lengths from the mark are entitled to room to round the mark.
8) A boat that is backing-up or not racing must keep clear.
9) If you have broken a rule, always get well clear as soon as you can, and then take your penalty turn.
10) It is better to give way, than to spend hours in a protest room.